Tuesday, July 13

Aloha Quilt

I just finished reading The Aloha Quilt, most recent book in the Elm Creek Quilts series.
It was about two best friends starting a quilt camp in Maui. One was going through a life changing divorce and needing to start her life over, while the other was happily married and the owner of a quilt shop and a Bed & Breakfast inn.  Throughout the book there was a great deal of the history of
Hawaiian culture as well as Hawaiian quilting.  Surprisingly, there was good instruction on making a traditional Hawaiian quilt.  I an ready to create my own.


As I was enjoying reading the book, I could almost visualize the beauty of the Islands, it makes me ready to take a trip.  Not going to happen anytime soon, but that's ok.  My sister Barbara has a love for Hawaii and after reading this story I have decided that Barbara should make a trip to the islands. 

Barbara has reconnected with old friends still living on the islands. She seems to find pictures and stories with a touch of the islands.  She has always like bright colors in everything.  Barbara says she is afraid of flying but I don't think that is enough of a reason NOT to visit a place she holds so dear to her heart.  Life is to short not to live it to the fullest even if that means you might be a bit scared!

I really have enjoyed reading quilting stories from the Elm Creek Series as they take me to different times and places in history.  Right now I am reading The Lost Quilter about a runaway slave and the underground railroad. 

I purchased the Eleanor Burns quilting book The Underground Railroad Patterns.  I hope to make a small wall quilt using the civil war historic blocks.  I am looking forward to finding the right book on Hawaiian quilting techniques. 

1 comment:

LB's Sewing Sanity said...

Lovely post! I just love this book series...always feel as if I had just spent time with dear friends after reading a chapter or two~ Happy Sewing!